Photoshop " Vintage Effects Tutorial "

Earlier I was going through some old photos and thought this bleached out image would be a good example to show a quick and easy way to add a vintage tone effect in photoshop.

Click on all images for larger view.

 Original Image

Step one: Open image in photoshop,which automatically becomes the background layer,now make a duplicate of the background layer.
Right click on the background layer,then click Duplicate Layer which brings up a box to name your new layer, you can name it what you want, I just leave it as background copy.  Click OK.

Step 2:  Make sure the background copy is selected, now go to Filter, select Sharpen and then click Sharpen.

Step 3:  When applying a vintage effect,Filter will be your most used tool.So lets go to Filter,click on Render, then select Clouds and set the Opacity to 25%.

Here's what it will look like, below.

Clouds Filter Added

Step 4:  Now we're going to create a new "Fill Layer" a solid color. Go to Layer - New Fill Layer - Solid Color - click OK. Choose a navy blue color 1E1565,and click OK.  Now in the layers mode box, set the mode to "Exclusion" and the Opacity at 100%.  As you can see, this makes the photo's yellow and blue colors stand out.

Here's what we got so far, below.

Blue Layer Added

Step 5:   Now lets experiment with another "New Fill Layer > Solid Color" and this time choose a yellow color E0D180, click OK. Now set the layers mode to "Overlay" and the opacity between 25 and 50 percent, I choose 50%.

Here's what it looks like, below.

Yellow Layer Added

Step 6:  Ok, one more, "New Fill Layer > Solid Color" and this time choose a brown - 5F5545, Now set the layers mode to "Multiply" and the Opacity at 50%.

Here's what it looks like, below.

Brown Layer Added

Step 7:  Now we're going to make a duplicate of the background again as in step one.  Then drag it to the top of the layers,then set the layer mode to"Overlay" and the
Opacity at 80%.  Now sharpen again as in step 2.   That's it, flatten and save.

Here's the finished image, below .......pretty neat huh!

Finished Image

Step 8:  An extra tip, to add a Glossy Effect, after flattening, make a duplicate of the background once again, "I heard that" now go to Filter/Blur/Gaussian Blur and set it at 3.0 ......blurry huh, don't worry, the next and final step will fix that.  Now set the layer mode to Overlay and the Opacity at 55%.

Here's what it looks like, below.       Big difference huh!

Glossy Effect Added

I hope you enjoyed this quick and easy tutorial,and hope it makes you want to experiment with the Filter tools and ease up on using the quick and easy actions that are available everywhere.

43 comments:

Country Girl said...

Wow. Thanks for this. I tend to get lazy, just using actions and texture layers but this makes me help to understand it all so much better.

The Painting Queen said...

I am off to open Photoshop and get to work! This is so awesome! Thank you!

Sweetpea said...

I can't wait to try this - LUV the look!

Thank you so much for posting this tutorial...very, very helpful and much appreciated :>]

Sim said...

Coool!
Thanks a lot for the lesson...
Great work!
XXX Sim.

Furniture removalists said...

WOW! That is awesome. I am so excited to try this. Thank you for this wonderful tutorial.

merkusje said...

Thanks very much, great tutorial

Sheila Rumney said...

Can't wait to try this! Thanks for the tutorial!

Nana said...

Holy Hanna, why do I have to work? I have tried to figure this out before...you are so AMAZING. This tutorial is the best! THANK U.
Carol

Angie said...

Wow! Thanks I am definitely trying this!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. You help make sense out of a big scary program.

The Deming Four said...

Thank you so much Jerry!

Ginger said...

Wow, you are such a blessing! I have just bought photoshop and have checked out a book from the library, Photoshop Elements 8 for Dummies :) I have played around with it a little but feel so overwhelmed. I've always LOVED the vintage effects I see and you have not only captured that beautifully but also given me a way to quite possibly finally achieve this most anticipated look. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I truly appreciate your willingness to share you talents, enjoyment and understanding of this software, especially without requiring an arm and a leg. You put beauty within anyone's grasp and that is just an amazing thing!

Leah C said...

Oh I can't wait to try this! As much as I love "playing" in Photoshop, I really want to learn to use the tools, too. This tutorial will really help...thanks so much:)

Jan said...

Thanks again for your genius and your generosity! I've been playing around with steps similar to this technique, but this one is so much better and you make it so understandable. You are such a blessing to those of us learning and experienced photographers as well.

said...

Oh wow, what a wonderful tutorial!! I'm so new to PS and your finely detailed tutorials are very much appreciated and very helpful!! I can't wait to give this a try!

Love the effect your textures gave your already beautiful photo!!!

Thanks you so much for sharing this...it's very much appreciated!

Enjoy your weekend!!

Debbie

Jody said...

Thanks a million for this tutorial. I can see where using filters can be great.

Hope you will offer more tutorials in the future. I love to learn!

Kit and Kaboodle said...

Thank you for such a fun and clearly laid out tutorial. I've had great fun experimenting with various photos for most of the afternoon!

Kate :-)

Angie said...

So neat - thank you so much for sharing your steps. It looks awesome.

Sarah said...

I am just learning PSE and do appreciate your tutorials.

Michelle Sparks Photography said...

Rockstar Jerry - you, well, ROCK. Thanks so much for all that you share. I used one of your square overlays on a bridal photo of the shoes/ring - and the bride flipped over it. Again, thank you hardly seems adequate - but it is heartfelt.

phyllis said...

fantastic lesson, it made a huge difference in your shot! cant wait to try it myself! :)

Angela said...

Great tut thank you so much!!

Ann said...

That made an incredible difference. I prefer this method to actions. I tried a few of them in the beginning but never use them any more. I can't wait to try this tutorial out. Thanks so much for posting this

Just Me said...

This was a great lesson. I picked a photo I have of a tree with woods and copied your instructions to the letter. I got it all correct until the final step where you create the background layer and drag it to the top of the other layers. That is when my photo changed drastically. Any thoughts on what I may have done wrong?

Thank you for the lesson. I am self taught and you gave so much information that will really help with layering, textures, and more. I love it!

Nana said...

Well, after 3 hours of play...let me just tell you that was a great tutorial. Great fun...thanks, again!

:) Tiff said...

awesome stuff. many many thnaks

Phillipa. said...

this is great, I really appreciate you sharing, I truely love your work, thanks for the step by step tutorials.

Diane said...

Fantastic! Thank you =)))

RRF said...

Terrific tutorial Jerry, thanks so much. I can't wait to experiment with it. The thing with actions is that they are such easy fun. That being said I think many of us who use them tend to go into each layer and tweak them anyway. I find that can take as much or more time as starting from scratch :-) I love this photo BTW I have looked at the finished copy in your photostream any number of times.

Anonymous said...

great tutorial! Thank you :)

Jessica

DeeMomof6 said...

Love this tutorial! Thank-you so much!

Kayshine said...

Thank you for your clear articulate directions. Coupled with examples of your personal photos makes your tutorials very appealing.
Thank you

witchypoo said...

I just love where your head goes to come up with the correct colour filters to get this end result, you are the greatest !!! We can copy the instructions and get a similar result, but then when we experiment on our own, without your expertise it all becomes rubbish again. You are amazing !!

Mary Lou said...

I just found this tutorial and am anxious to use it. Thank you!

KIMMER said...

Thank you, very clear, easy to follow Tut. Your work is wonderful.

Rylea said...

awesome tutorial Jerry, thank you so much. It energizes me to do a few of those old photo's I so needed to change color on. You so Rock!

Anonymous said...

tried your tutorial.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54061875@N05/5215868402/in/pool-all_textures#/photos/54061875@N05/5215868402/in/pool-1057797@N22/

Thank you!
gravis

Ritsumei said...

Thank you! Not only have you opened the world of color fill layers to me with this tutorial, but I like your exact colors well enough that I kept coming back & eventually made a pair of actions: one for the vintage effect, and one for the glossy effect.

Jerry Jones said...

Ritsumei,

Cool, don't suppose you'd care to share your actions. : )

neki desu said...

thank you, thank you. like this better than many actions going around. now i only need the snow!

Ellen said...

Just found you and this tutorial via @smashingmag Twitter retweet. Where have you been all my life !?! Thank you!

Rebecca Calvo said...

Love this! Feels good to unravel the actions process! Thank you so much!

Sue Berry said...

Love this easy vintage effect - will be using it lots! Many thanks for all your great tutorials and fabulous textures. Check out my pic here: http://artecats.blogspot.com/2011/06/vintage-look.html

Sue

Donation