Masks are incredibly useful for blending photos and hiding portions of images without altering them directly. In this tutorial we'll learn how to use the brush palette and fill layer
with mask to make a photo layer mask.
Creating attractive photo borders or creative cutouts can be an easy and fun task when using masks. In this short tutorial I will show you how to give your photos an easy and creative cutout while painting on a mask with brushes.
1. Open a photo that you intend to use. This is what I’ll use to demonstrate.
2. Make a solid fill adjustment layer by clicking Layer>New Fill Layer>Solid, or click on the half black/half white circle in the bottom of the layers palette and choose Solid fill. Choose white as the color. Follow images shown below.
3. Lower the opacity of the fill layer to reveal the photo underneath. Somewhere around 75% should do nicely.
Now you should be able to see the image underneath as shown below.
4. Choose the Brush Tool[B] and select a big brush, preferably a paint stroke brush, something with character and ragged edges. Choose black as your foreground color.
5. Select the mask on the Fill Layer, now start painting with your brush to reveal what you want visible, if you feel you messed up on a spot, just select white as your foreground and paint over it to cover it up, then switch your foreground back to black and continue till you feel satisfied with the results. When done be sure to raise your opacity back to 100% and flatten and save.
Here’s what I have using the brush selected from above step 5.
Something I like doing also, is to use some swirl or decorative brushes to add some flair.
6. Optional, you can always reduce the opacity of the brush in the options bar at the top of the screen if you want to reveal less of the photo.
NOTE: Black cuts away the mask and reveals what's underneath,while white hides and any shades of gray are varying opacities. Don’t forget to set your opacity back to 100% and flatten and save.
"Gift Tags" Abstract Antique Artwork ASL Layer Styles Bio Birds Blog Backgrounds Blogger Tip Bokeh Bonus Brushes Book Brush Brushes Calendars Canvas Chit Chat Christmas Christmas Wrap Clouds Coffee Color Palette Contact Me Cool Tips Cool Vid Daguerro Digital Art Download Dreamy Fabric Faves Film Scrathes Flickr Fonts Frame Free ghosts Gorgeous Tones Grunge Image Pack Lace Layer Mask Light Leaks Lightroom 2 Lightroom Presets Linen Mat Mouseover Music News Overlay Painterly Paper Parchment Pastel Patterns PDF Photo Photo Corners Photoshop photoshop actions Photoshop Patterns Png. Png.Layer Mask Polaroid Post Cards Preset Profile PS Elements PS Tip PS-Brushes PSD Roses Rustic sackcloth and ash self portrait Shadowbox Shadowhouse Slideshow Snow Soft Square Stained Stone Storyboard Texture Texture of the Day Texture Set Textures TTV Tutorial TV videos Vintage Wall Paper Wallpaper Watercolors Winter Wood